BIKE TO BREAK THE CYCLE 2020
Friday, September 25 – Saturday, October 3, 2020
Bike to Break the cycle is a fun, active and exciting way to raise money to support YWCA Central Massachusetts. This event is open to riders of all abilities who want to raise money to support YWCA’s domestic violence services programs and have fun in the process!
When you fundraise for YWCA’s Bike to Break the Cycle, you’ll support the continued and vital actions of YWCA’s domestic violence services program, which provides direct support to survivors of domestic violence, as well as community education and initiatives to prevent violence and promote healthy relationships.
WHAT DOES THIS FUNDRAISER SUPPORT?
100% of the net proceeds from the Bike to Break the Cycle supports YWCA programming, including victim services and community education.
- Survivor Services | YWCA’s domestic violence services are designed to meet the needs of individuals and families whose lives have been affected by intimate partner violence. Services include: support groups, individual counseling, emergency shelter, referrals to community resources, safety planning, crisis intervention, and court advocacy. Family and friends of victims also have access to services.
- Community Education | YWCA offers violence prevention services for youth, teens and adults in the Central Massachusetts area. Violence prevention services educate the community by equipping individuals with the skills to resist violence and abuse and promote non-violent interaction. Programs aim to teach skills that can protect people from violence and abuse, change attitudes about violence, provide resource information, and encourage young people to talk to a trusted adult when in fear of being harmed.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
We’re inviting all riders whether you’re a recreational athlete, a fitness enthusiast or a first timer to ride or spin for 135 minutes between Friday, September 25 – Saturday, October 3. You can ride at home, outdoors or at your gym. If you don’t have access to a bike, you can reserve time on a spin bike at the YWCA.* You can bike 135 minutes all at once, broken up over the week or split time among team members.
Register as an individual rider or grab your co-workers, family and friends to create a team (no limit to number of riders). Individual riders are asked to raise $250 and teams $500. Each rider pays a $25 registration fee that counts towards their individual/team fundraising goal.
Everyone who raises a minimum of $100 receives a commemorative Bike to Break the Cycle t-shirt.
* If you’d like to reserve a bike at the YWCA, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
DON’T WANT TO RIDE, BUT WANT TO HELP?
- Donate $250 and you can get your company name on our exclusive event t-shirt.
- Create your own fundraiser.
- Support a specific rider or team’s fundraising efforts.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
- Go to https://secure.frontstream.com/bike-to-break-the-cycle-2020.
- If you are registering as a team, select “I want to create my own team” OR “I want to join an existing team” and follow the prompts and set a fundraising goal. If you don’t want to ride, but want to donate in support of an individual or team that is, click on the search box under “choose your recipient” find the individual or team name and complete form with contact and payment info. Click “Donate” to complete transaction.
- If you want to participate as a rider select “Register” and follow the prompts. You can either register to join an existing team, create a team (you’ll be the Team Captain) or as an individual rider. If you are joining a team you will select Individual as your Registration Type and put 1 in the quantity box to pay your registration fee. If you are creating a team, you will select Team as your Registration Type and put 1 in the quantity box to pay your registration fee.
- If you are creating a new team, be sure to personalize your fundraising page and enter your team fundraising goal. We encourage you to aim high! After all, it’s for a good cause!
- After you create your page or join a team, you can email the link to your colleagues, friends and family and share it on social media so people can quickly and easily contribute directly to your Bike to Break the Cycle fundraising goal with any major credit card. Folks can also mail in a check to YWCA Central Mass, Bike to Break the Cycle, 1 Salem Square, Worcester, MA 01608.
An individual who starts a team is considered the Team Captain. As Team Captain your main responsibilities are to recruit team members and encourage fundraising efforts to help prevent domestic violence in our communities. This is especially important during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic as instances of domestic violence are on the rise.
In addition, you’ll want to customize your team’s fundraising web page, communicate with team members and be a general resource about Bike to Break the Cycle. Feel free to contact the YWCA’s event’s department at email@example.com for assistance. Staff are happy to help!