Day Camp for youth 6 to 13 years
Camp Wind-in-the-Pines is a summer day camp for school-aged children located on Stiles Reservoir in Leicester. Each session is packed with themed activities, games, and projects, as well as traditional camp activities.
For the convenience of working parents, camp hours are 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The camp has an ample amount of sandy beach and lake front property with a boathouse and dock, several recreation halls, a ball field and nature trails. The bath house is equipped with private rest rooms, showers and changing areas for campers.
Campers are divided into specific age groups and are instructed in areas that are developmentally appropriate. Each session is packed with themed activities, games, and projects, as well as traditional camp activities. Every session includes swim lessons, recreational swim, boating (8 years and older), arts and crafts, games, sports and literacy.
All camp counselors are trained and certified in CPR and First Aid, and meet the departments of Early Education and Care and Public Health requirements.
Camp Wind-in-the-Pines is licensed through the Town of Leicester Board of Health and complies with all regulations established by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
Jump to Section:
2022 Camp Sessions:
- SOLD OUT Nature Session 1: June 20-24 (closed June 20 for Juneteenth) Do you love animals, plants, and all things nature? Tap into your natural curiosity, learn about the world around you, and spend lots of time exploring the outdoors! You’ll participate in a nature scavenger hunt, make sand castings on the beach, and using found and recycled materials you’ll build a bird feeder that can hold a quarter cup of birdseed to be hung around camp.
- SOLD OUT Let’s Garden Session 2: June 27- July 1 Are you ready for a week of unbeLEAFable fun? Learn about what it takes to grow a thriving garden by conducting a soil analysis, grow your own vegetable or flower, and express your creativity with fun activities like making an exploding seed ball. By week’s end we promise you’ll be loving all things nature.
- SOLD OUT America’s Birthday Session 3: July 5-8 (closed July 4) This year we’ll be celebrating America’s 245th birthday! Campers will participate in lots of Independence Day-inspired crafts and activities, including a field day, shaving cream fireworks, and an air show with a patriotic glider that you’ll make and decorate with red, white & blue.
- SOLD OUT Comic Con- Superheroes Session 4: July 11-15 Have you ever wished that you could be a superhero? During this week you can live your dream! Boost confidence, and explore your imagination while entering the world of superheroes and learning valuable STEAM concepts. Campers will write a comic strip featuring their superhero, design a superhero mask, and explore superhero powers like flying.
- SOLD OUT Space is the Place Session 5: July 18-22 You’ll be blasting off into space this week with lots of fun space crafts and activities. You’ll get to build a bubble powered rocket, make pipe cleaner constellations, learn the science behind static electricity, and how sunscreen protects you from the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
- SOLD OUT Survivor Week Session 6: July 25-29 Inspired by the ever-popular television series, Survivor week is jam-packed with fun and exciting challenges. You’ll use your creativity, smarts and strength to power through games designed to help you reach new heights. Get ready for a bit of friendly competition.
- SOLD OUT The Art of STEM Session 7: August 1-5 Get ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work! This hand on session is jam-packed with fun STEM activities and crafts. Engineer a design for a catapult, design and build a launch pad for a soda bottle rocket, make ice cream, and write secret messages with color changing ink.
- SOLD OUT Master Recreations Session 8: August 8-12 This week you’ll learn about a famous artist such as Jean-Michel Basquiat, Piet Mondrian and Georgia O’Keefe – their personal history and engage in hands-on activities to practice the artistic styles and techniques that they used to create their beautiful, timeless works. The week will culminate with an Art Show.
- SOLD OUT Crazy for LEGOS Session 9: August 15-19 It’s all about LEGOS this week! Everything from daily LEGO building challenges to minute-to-win-it challenges and building a LEGO skyscraper using only the verbal directions provided to you. You’ll also make LEGO-shaped crayons.
- SOLD OUT Summertime Fun Session 10: August 22-26 Enjoy the last few days of summer with traditional camp crafts and activities. Make lip balm, weave a colorful yarn craft that represents called Ojo de Dios or God’s Eye, and tie-dye your own shirt or pillowcase. You’ll top the week off with a friendly game of kickball between campers and staff!
All summer camp registrations are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please read the registration form carefully. A $30 non-refundable deposit per child per session is required unless paid in full. Balances must be paid in full and all required forms must be received by June 1, 2022.
Register and pay online: Our sessions are now full.
Register and pay by mail: Our sessions are now full.
Mail completed registration form with payment to:
YWCA Central Massachusetts,
1 Salem Square, Worcester, MA 01608
Fax it: 508-754-0496
A confirmation packet with additional camp information and forms will be sent once your child’s registration is processed. To receive your confirmation packet via email, please be sure to print your email address on the registration form in the indicated area.
The YWCA provides partial scholarship assistance through its summer camp scholarship program to prospective campers with financial need. The availability of scholarship funds is limited. If you meet the following qualifications you may be eligible:
- You work at least 30 hours a week
- You are a student and attend class at least five hours a day
- Or you are medically incapable of caring for your child.
Camp Wind-in-the-Pines provides parents with two locations for drop-off and pick-up:
YWCA Central Massachusetts, 1 Salem Square, Worcester (Additional transportation fee of $60/week for campers dropped off and picked up in Worcester)*
* NOTE: The actual cost of transportation is $90. The YWCA is able to reduce the cost thanks to private donations received.